Client – Integrated meat processing facility
The operator of a planned integrated meat processing facility needed a complete turn-key wastewater treatment solution.
Integrated meat processing facilities combine both abattoir and rendering (meat by-product processing) facilities. The two elements of the process produce different waste streams – abattoirs generally produce high volumes of low load (organic solids) bearing water, while rendering plants produce lower volumes of high load water. The blended waste is therefore a high volume, moderate load stream requiring careful selection and sizing of appropriate technologies to obtain the optimum performance and economic operation.
Careful analysis of the anticipated facility input load, and resulting waste streams, particularly the overall volume and increased solids load, informed the design process. Consideration was given to ensuring that the plant had sufficient capacity for growth, without compromising energy consumption or performance.
The specified, and implemented, solution incorporated:
- Proprietary, high performance, energy efficient mixing of buffer tanks to ensure normalised input streams, minimum chemical consumption, and “in spec” wastewater.
- A higher capacity Dissolved Air Floatation (DAF) unit to accommodate the higher solids load present in the blended stream of an integrated meat processing facility.
- “Intelligent” chemical dosing system (coagulant and flocculant) based on measured input stream parameters.
- Three phase decanting centrifuge for solids dewatering and tallow recovery.
- Integrated telemetry, and remote monitoring and control.
Upon commissioning the system provided the following benefits:
- More consistent sludge production due to intelligent polymer dosing (avoiding under- or overdosing).
- Higher oil recovery (and profit) through improved sludge processing, due to better consistency of the sludge.
- Reduced chemical consumption through intelligent control mechanisms and ongoing, telemetry based, optimisation.
- “In spec” discharge streams under all operating conditions.